THE ACADEMY ATTENDANCE TARGET IS 95%
The Skegness Academy (in line with government directives) expects pupils to attend school for at least 95% of the time. This equates to half a days absence every two weeks. If a pupil is absent for a whole day their attendance for that week drops to 80%.
National statistics tell us that:
- Above 95% attendance – nearly all pupils achieve 5 or more A*-C grades at GCSE
- Below 95% attendance – most pupils fail to get 5 or more A*-C grades at GCSE
Where possible, family holidays should not be taken during term time. The Academy is not obliged to authorise any absences due to family holidays. Ten school days absence taken as a holiday in a year will reduce a pupil’s attendance to 95% immediately. Any further absence due to illness will bring the attendance down below the Academy target.
Parents have a responsibility for ensuring their child attends the Academy regularly and punctually. The Academy expects that all parents communicate with them, either in writing or by telephone, giving a reason:
1. In advance of any planned absence.
2. Immediately following any unplanned absence.
3. During any absence expected to last more than three days.
Failure to comply with this requirement will mean that your child will have unauthorised absences on their attendance record and this could lead to a referral to the Education Welfare Service.
Holidays taken during examination time, or in the terms leading up to examinations, will not be authorised. The law states that parents do not have an automatic right to take their child out of school for holidays during term time.
Some absences which are considered unavoidable and may therefore be authorised by the Skegness Academy:
- Pupil was genuinely ill
- Pupil was attending a religious festival/ceremony with family
- Pupil had a medical or dental appointment that could not be made out of school hours
- Pupil was in hospital/having hospital treatment
- Pupil was attending a funeral with family
- Pupil was attending an interview for a job or place at college
- Pupil was taking part in a public performance or examination
Some absences which are considered avoidable will be left unauthorised by the Skegness Academy. These include:
- Trivial illness
- Minding the house or waiting for workmen/deliveries etc
- Packing or getting ready for a holiday or trip or collecting relatives from the airport/station
- Being on holiday
- Looking after brothers and sisters, including dropping them off at school or nursery
- Looking after a sick relative
- Helping with housework or family business
- Being unhappy or not getting on with others at the Academy